Thursday, September 19, 2013

Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!


Since today is Talk Like a Pirate Day, I thought it would be a good day to post about some pirate costume pieces!

First up is the Pirates of the Caribbean "rum island shift." I made mine almost 10 years ago and I was never super happy with it.  It ended up too low-cut and the fabric wasn't even close to accurate.  I had more accurate linen in the stash, but I never got around to redoing it. Mainly because of all the eyelets. The first time I made this, I had a machine that would do eyelets. My current one does not. 

So I did 90 something eyelets by hand in one weekend. Ouch!

I'm much happier with this version, though I used my old pattern and should really have shifted the shoulder seam to the front, in a more 18th century placement. Also, the first time out, I didn't put a center seam down the front (though I had one down the back).  This time I goofed and should have cut on the fold but I didn't.  It's really hard to see in the few pics of the real one whether there are seams. The front sits more nicely with a seam there. But my guess is there isn't one.  So an improvement over the last version, but not 100% accurate. Oh, and mine probably needs some aging and dirtying. :-)

http://costumersguide.com/pirates_plum.shtml

My friends and I are planning on pirate costumes for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party at Disney coming up in October. Last year we did Star Trek. Riding Space Mountain in a Trek costume? Achievement unlocked!  So this year, it will be riding Pirates of the Caribbean in a PotC costume.

But since the shift doesn't have pockets, I bought some accessories on Etsy that I'm really happy with.  But first, pictures of the shift.







So... accessories!

I need something to hold a wallet, phone, etc.  So I bought this bag on Etsy - how cute is this? Here's the seller: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/148757548?ref=fb2_tnx_title





Then I decided I needed something smaller to go inside the bag.  So then I bought this.  It's seriously adorable.  Here's the listing: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/149600793?ref=fb2_tnx_title




Both bags are really well-made and I love the pirate map theme.  Hope ye will all have a hearty Talk Like a Pirate Day, maties!




3 comments:

  1. Arrr! The shift looks great. I love the texture of the linen. Do you think it's possible to use the buttonhole stitch to make eyelets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ARRR! Thank you! :-)

      It wasn't for my machine. My old machine used to do eyelets with the buttonhole stitcher, but this one doesn't unfortunately!

      Delete
  2. I love it all! The shift looks great and the pirate bags are both so cute!

    ReplyDelete