Thursday, June 6, 2013

Marie Antoinette Strawberry gown

Here is my "secret" project that I've been plotting for a while. Every since Melly posted her version of the Strawberry fabric from MA, I've wanted to make this gown! (http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/1354899)  I splurged on cotton silk.  The blue trim and the blue velvet ribbon for the neck aren't the exact right shades of blue, but they were best I could come up with. The sleeve flounce net is vintage.

I tried a new sleeve pattern which was ok, but they kept riding up so my sleeves look weird in a bunch of the photos. But overall, I'm happy with how it turned out!  I also had to guess on the back since there are no pics of it - it's impossible to tell if it's quarter back or en fourreau.  In the end I went with quarter back because I thought it would take less fabric.

I went with MA's lunch look, with flowers in the hair, but I'd love to make the hat.  And those gloves she wears to church are amazing too.  My research page for this gown is here: http://costumersguide.com/ma12.shtml

Here are a million pics of me in the gown, and some of it on the dress form. :-)








Showing off my American Duchess stockings and silk shoes.





These two pics are Gloria's:




 And a few more:







 Here are some pics of it on the form, but worn with a bum roll, not panniers, as above.







8 comments:

  1. It is SO pretty, wonderful colors on you too. A really wonderful recreation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! You are so awesome! That was one of my favorite gowns from that movie. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very cuye! qhat did you think of the cotton/silk blend? Nice to work with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, it was really nice fabric and easy to work with!

      Delete