Friday, September 7, 2012

DragonCon - Saturday!

So, for the first time since its inception, I actually went to the parade. The first year I went to DragonCon was the first time they did it. It was very hot and early and I never did it again. Mostly because we stay up late and I don't like getting up early and missing sleep. I'm always sorry to miss the parade, but I also generally don't get sick after DragonCon.

Anyhow, we decided to go with Jen & Raj this year and we got to sleep at a decent (for DragonCon) hour. We had intended to try and get a spot on the balcony of the Atlanta Grill (Raj had a reservation) but people had camped out there from 5:45 on, which is nuts!

So we ended up standing right below it.

But guess who else was on the balcony?
IMG_4520
Katee Sackhoff! More on that later.

And some shots from the parade.

I was amused at Jar Jar in the back of the Men in Black car: IMG_4528
Stan Lee:
IMG_4532
King Bender:
IMG_4536
Cardboard Superheroes:
IMG_4538
USO girls - I didn't get a good shot because we were shouting for our friends!
IMG_4540
Browncoats!
IMG_4541
This guy was impressive:
IMG_4665
Back to the Future - I liked that they had Lea Thompson's character. At least I think that's her?
IMG_4578
Then came the BSG people. I was really hoping they would spot Katee and sure enough, some sharp eyed person did. And they all got really excited and started chanting So Say We All in front of her. I got video:
IMG_4580 
 



The whole thing was actually really sweet. It must be amazing to have people who appreciate something you did that much. And it was nice of them to be able to show her how much BSG and Starbuck means to them.

Jen might have teared up. :-)

And then a giant firetruck pulled up in front of us, totally blocking our view. Luckily the parade was nearly over.
IMG_4589
Look at all the people watching from the parking garage!
IMG_4593
After the parade, our parade group headed to Sear for lunch/brunch and met up with David, Kathy's husband and Terry and Lesa. It was really fun!

Janine stopped by on the way to her panel too. After lunch, we met up with more of the gang to give Amber a real wetting down. She's recently gotten promoted in the Navy, and when you get promoted, you have a "wet down", which in the old days meant throwing you off a ship. We just threw her into the swimming pool. :-)
IMG_4598
 
IMG_4599
After that, Doug changed into his Drake costume from Uncharted 2. Roughly. We don't have the right belt buckle yet. But we do have a phurba dagger and a ring and a watch. The black undershirt is from the start of the game. And the holster isn't accurate. It's a work in progress.

And I got changed into my Amy Farrah Fowler costume from Big Bang Theory for our group meet-up. Sadly our Leonard and Bernadette couldn't make DragonCon.

In the elevator, we met Comic Book Guy. He said something to the effect of embracing the fact that he looked like him.
IMG_4604
Doug as Drake:
IMG_4623
Doug and Jen as Tali from Mass Effect - I wanted to get their picture together since they both had video game costumes.
IMG_4625
 
IMG_4630
And here we are!
IMG_4607
 
IMG_4619
 
IMG_4646

Besties!
IMG_4640

Shamie:
IMG_4641
 
IMG_4807
 
IMG_4813
 
IMG_4814

I love some of these pics!
IMG_4806

We reenacted the tiara scene:
IMG_4812
 
IMG_4815

Zombie Disney Princesses:
IMG_4642

Atrium:
IMG_4644

A great Darth Maul:
IMG_4652

Rogue, Caitlin, Sean et al:
IMG_4653

After the BBT, Raj and I headed back to the Sheraton to change. We were going to try to catch the Barrowman panel on D*C TV, since there wasn't time to make the actual panel. But they showed the BSG panel instead. D'oh. But it was nice hanging out and relaxing.

I did make the 7pm Gillian Anderson panel. I'd heard she was kind of an airhead and not-at-all Scully-like. And it was pretty disappointing to see that was pretty much true. I'll grant her being nervous and alone in front of a big crowd. And she seemed to remember the process of auditioning for Scully and that was interesting. But then it seemed like she had no recollection of actually having been on the show. I know it was a long time ago, but really? You have no stories at all for a like 10 year period of your life? She was not really able to answer any questions at all. It reminded me of when Ron Glass was on a Firefly panel and he seemed not to remember much and Morena Baccarin (Inara) said to him, "You know, there's this great show called Firefly, you should watch it sometime, it's really good!" I kind of wanted to say the same to Gillian Anderson only about X-files. So yeah. Disappointing. I love that she brought Scully to life but clearly she and Scully are not the same.

IMG_4657

The view out the window again:
IMG_4760

Many levels of costumes:
IMG_4662

The view from 10:
IMG_4663

Which is where the evening meet-up started, so we could get pics of our friends' Gender Bender Avengers.
IMG_4668

I liked the flash effect from someone else's camera. I'm sure that was Thor's doing, right?
IMG_4669
 
IMG_4670

Gen stopped by with K-9. Sadly she couldn't catch and elevator and she hauled him up 10 flights of stairs!
IMG_4672
 
IMG_4674
 
IMG_4676
 
IMG_4679

Now for more Avengers:
IMG_4683
 
IMG_4688
 
IMG_4690

We spotted another Nathan Drake:
IMG_4713

The view from 10:
IMG_4714
More Avengers:
IMG_4716

I was lent a Captain America shirt so I could be a fan. :-)
IMG_4722
 
IMG_4723

We found another group dresses as Lolita Avengers. I love the parasol Captain American shield:
IMG_4726
 
IMG_4727
 
IMG_4729
 
IMG_4730
 
IMG_4732

After much walking around, we headed to the food court to sit. And get Dairy Queen. And accidentally ended up recreating the Schwarma scene.
IMG_4740
 
IMG_4746

And here are all the people taking pictures of the Schwarma scene. It was really funny seeing people doing double takes.
IMG_4747

Thor taunting Loki:
IMG_4751


I got to see Ashlee's amazing Evil Lily costume:
IMG_4755

And her husband's awesome True Grit costume:
IMG_4757

And lastly, from earlier in the evening, I couldn't help but photobomb this pic.
IMG_4817


























































































































2 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos. Thank you for this post. I was at Dragon*Con 2012 and hope to go again next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you area able to go next year! :-)

      Delete